Head of Product Marketing
Better Place ForestsSan Francisco1Y ago
Better Place Forests is completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the stale, fragmented and unfriendly end-of-life industry. As part of this effort, we’re building America’s first conservation spreading forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial while tackling a market opportunity > $600B in the U.S. alone.
80% of the 75M baby boomers in the U.S. are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We’re backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX and Blue Bottle and we’ve received national coverage in publications such as The New York Times, Fast Company and Business Insider. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com.
“In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it’s rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor.” - Fast Company
You’re a category creator who will drive the company’s overall go-to-market (GTM) strategy.
As the owner of the company’s value proposition, you’ll identify, define & refine key personas including how to target them and the best way to communicate with each audience. You’ll also work with our product and land teams to identify opportunities for vertical and horizontal expansion, and then build out and lead a team to launch these new products and services.
You love working with consumer products & sales teams, and have demonstrated success communicating with customers at scale. You excel at taking complex ideas and data, and distilling it all down into a clear, compelling, and concise value proposition. You possess a strong understanding of the consumer buyer mindset, you’re dedicated to building great customer experiences, and you’re a relentless advocate for our current and future users.
The right candidate balances left-brain and right-brain thinking: you’re analytically oriented, but you’re also a creative thinker who can nail the emotional “why” and “so what” of Better Place Forests. You think quickly, love working on complex business problems and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced and feedback-driven environment. You’re highly self-motivated, have a stellar work ethic and you’re excited to work at a mission-driven company with a clear sense of purpose that will support your growth.
- Own the company’s go-to-market strategy including defining and refining target personas, identifying opportunities for vertical & horizontal expansion and shaping the company’s value proposition
- Category builder: you know how to market entirely new ideas
- Partner closely with the land and product teams to shape the company’s strategic expansion roadmap
- Lead the company through new launches including geographic (e.g. new forests) and product expansion (e.g. new physical and digital products)
- Create launch and messaging playbooks to easily replicate success
- Be the voice of the user internally, executing research and synthesizing feedback to key teams across the company including land, product and sales teams
- Own the strategy and messaging for key external-facing properties including our website, videos, campaigns and materials for the Sales team
- Be a key culture driver, emphasizing the value of experimentation and creating a safe space for failure and learning
- Development of thought leadership content and ownership over our editorial calendar (blog, social media, etc)
- 8+ years experience in product marketing, ideally across B2C and B2B
- 3+ years of managing people, scaling a team and developing talent
- Proven ability to create new categories and bring entirely new products/ideas/concepts to market
- Demonstrated track record defining and implementing GTM strategy across a company.
- You’re an ace at identifying and refining target personas, turning a slew of data and other feedback loops into actionable insights and strategy for the entire company
- Your colleagues sing your praises and love working with you.
- Ruthless prioritizer: You’re able to keep the team focused on the most critical items.
- Strong writing, communication, and storytelling skills.
- Data-driven: you’re comfortable executing scaled research and diving into data & dashboards for insights
- Talented customer interviewer; you’re always looking for ways to fully understand and serve the customer
- Player-coach: you can mentor junior team members and you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty.
- Strong cultural addition to the team and desire to contribute meaningfully to its further development
- You’re a humble and open communicator
- Experience in a fast paced start-up environment
- Genuine passion for and connection with Better Place Forests’ mission & purpose